Ushering a new revolution in terms of vegetarian food , Indies have earned my respect with their amazing food even when I am a die-heart meat lover . Vegetarian dishes aren’t just about paneer and potatoes , there are plenty of other options to go for , this has been highlighted on their menu cards as well .
Located in Shakespeare sarani , nearest metro being Rabindra Sadan / Maidan this restaurant has cozy sitting arrangements for around 30 people . Unfortunately no parking is available hence public transport will be a better option , it’s few minutes from Camac street bus stop. After reaching the place you will be warmly welcomed by the courteous staffs . Dim lights and music will get you into the mood for your meal .
What I tried from their elaborate menu are as follows
• Paneer angara : This has been highlighted as one of their signature kebabs as it should be. Paneer kebabs being flambeed in front of your eyes has its own thrill . Paneer portions were very big, cut in triangular shape coated in spicy tomato based marinade served with a few chutneys as a complement . They taste really good .
• Turkish borek : Yes this was the first time I tried this item. Borek refers to a filled pastry made of a flaky dough . This one had a filling of potato and mashed veggies , I found it bland . May be the dish itself lacks spices .
After these we had our Italian main course starting with
• Paneer tikka pizza : One of the best veg pizzas I ever had which had generous amount of panner cubes along with lots and lots of good quality mozzarella cheese and as you know pizzas without good amout of cheese is just a piece of bread .
•Arrabiata pasta : Back to back stunning dishes took our mood one step up . Penne pasta in spicy red sauce mixed with ample amount of exotic vegetables . The tangyness of the sauce perfectly balanced the creamyness of the pasta .
Let’s move forward to the Indian main course which had the following
•Shaam savera : Uptill now our expectations grew with great food being served to the table and this one didn’t disappoint either . It lives out to our expectations as well. One of their unique creations this dish involves paneer coated with mashed spinach and turned into small koftas . These koftas were then finished in a tomato cream based gravy .
•Cheese chili olive naan : The koftas were paired with cheese chili olive naan which again requires attention beacuse of its uniqueness . The naan dough was mixed with olives and chillis and then put inside tandoor finally finished with cheese being coated all over it .
• Butter naan with paneer butter masala : Another well known combo which doesn’t need much introduction . The butter masala had white buttery gravy with extra cream . It complemented the butter naans which were soft and decent .
• Russian mojito and fresh lime soda acted as our thirst quencher throughout our meal . Personally didn’t like the taste of Russian mojito may be because of the presence of some sweet syrup to a large extent . Fresh lime soda was as usual .
•Sizzling brownie (home made) : This ended our meal on a sweet note. Brownie served over a sizzler plate with scoops of vanilla ice cream .The taste was good but honestly I had better brownies.
Overall a good experience with veg food and nice ambience . Hope they come up with some more surprising new additions to their menu so that people in Kolkata gets to know more and more about vegetarian cuisine .